The first Challengers were conceived in 1936 to replace the Union Pacific's fleet of three-cylinder 4-12-2s (shown elsewhere in this catalog). With a 50 mph top speed, the 4-12-2s had been the road's primary fast freight engines when built in 1926. But a decade later they were considered slow and difficult to maintain. So American Locomotive Works (ALCO) was commissioned to build what became one of the most successful fleets of articulated engines on any railroad. Forty Challengers were built in the 1930s. The pressure of wartime traffic brought an order for 65 more of these 70 mph greyhounds in 1942-44, with improvements based on lessons learned from the UP's 4-8-8-4 Big Boys. In service, the Challengers often complemented the Big Boys, speeding traffic over less rugged territory and handing it over to the Big Boys for the passage over Utah's Wasatch Mountains. - Die-Cast Boiler and Tender Body - Die-Cast Metal Chassis - Die-Cast Truck Sides - Authentic Paint Scheme & Cab Numbers - RP-25 Metal Wheels Mounted On Metal Axles - Operating Lighted Marker Lights - Constant Voltage Headlight - Prototypical Rule 17 Lighting - Detailed Truck Sides - Detailed Cab Interior - Powerful Balanced 12-Volt 5-Pole Precision Skew-Wound Flywheel Equipped Motor - Wireless Drawbar w/Close Coupling Option - (2) Scale Operating Kadee Couplers - Metal Handrails and Decorative Bell - Decorative Metal Whistle - Sprung Drive Wheels - Synchronized Puffing ProtoSmoker System - Locomotive Speed Control - Locomotive Cab To Tender Deck Plate - Detailed Tender Undercarriage - Real Coal Load - Operating Tender Back-up Light - Interchangeable Traction Tire-Equipped Drive Wheels - On-Board DCC Receiver - Operates On Code 70, 83, & 100 Rail Curves
Offered by the Texas Transportation Museum as a fund raiser car, this collectible 6464 boxcar features the Union Pacific flag. There were only 500 of these cars offered, and they were only available through the museum. Check out the neat UP graphics--a must for your Heritage fleet.
This 40' standard box car with double doors was built in 1939 as part of series 9100-9199 for assignment to the Challenger overnight merchandise trains and run on Bettendorf trucks.